Saturday, November 24, 2007

Winter in Thailand

Yup, even tropical Thailand has a winter season. (No snow, though, thank goodness.) At this time of year, the daytime temp reaches about 28C (80F)--as compared with the usual high of upper 30s (mid-90F) during the rest of the year--and nighttime temp is around 18C (64F). When you're used to lows of 28C, a temp of 18C can feel pretty darned cold. It calls for long sleeves, long trousers, maybe even socks in bed. I know, to friends and family back in N.America, it all sounds wimpish to make such claims.

Tai doesn't like the cold weather either. On a cool morning, he quite enjoys wearing his 'pajamas'. The front of our restaurant doesn't get direct sunshine except in the early morning. He loves to sit (or lie) out front, watching the world go by, waiting to greet the first customer. But he is clearly uncomfortable lying on the concrete patio. Hence the need for his pajamas. If it's too cold for his sensitive constitution, he always has a soft blanket inside the restaurant where he can curl up and snooze away the day.

At night, Tai makes a bee-line for the foot of the bed, under the blankets. He usually likes to sleep against someone, so I might wake up in the night to find him flat against my back or my stomach.

Do all dog owners do this? If I have to get up in the night (don't need to tell you why, do I?), I do it carefully and quietly so as not to disturb Tai. Why? Why should I care if he's disturbed or not? It's not like he can't afford to lose a few minutes of sleep occasionally. Weird.

No comments: